[techtalk] Eric Raymond, MS security, and open source..

Daniel Manrique roadmr at entropia.com.mx
Mon May 14 20:16:51 EST 2001

> I just got this note from Eric Raymond in my inbox.  I must be on his
> PR list.
>
> I can't find any references online currently to the MS IIS backdoor ESR
> refers to.  Have any of you heard of the backdoor, or seen security or
> press coverage of it?  It's not on buqtraq or securityfocus or slashdot
> or... yet.

It's on slashdot:

And both an update to the article and the first few comments state that
this is old news, pointing to this old article:

"http://www.zdnet.com/eweek/stories/general/0,11011,2550387,00.html"

Maybe the reason why it's not on any of the security lists/sites is
because it was there a while ago.

It looks like Eric just took the opportunity of the vulnerability having
been reported on slashdot to issue a small rant that is accurate, though
maybe outdated.

<SARCASM>
However, I don't see why they make such a big fuss about it; after all,
Linux has backdoors too so there's no difference between them.
</SARCASM>

Accurate or not, Eric's comments make great
"print-and-show-to-microsoftesque-companies" material.

	- Roadmaster

*
Save a tree- use E-Mail!			roadmr at entropia.com.mx
*