[techtalk] Re: techtalk digest, Vol 1 #454 - 3 msgs

Linda MacPhee-Cobb prettyphysicslady at hotmail.com
Sun May 13 13:37:26 EST 2001

>I beg to differ. You are running Windows, using Outlook Express, I'm
>not certain that you're any sort of authority on Linux operating
>standards. Linda currently has her box configured in the following
>manner:
>I think she has far greater things to worry about than Linux single-
>user mode. When posting to a list requesting help or suggestion, it's
>expected that one will at least make an attempt to understand what is
>being offered or suggested by said list-members. (Read: When acting
>like a troll, expect to be treated as such).

You are correct, clearly linux mandrake 7.2 out of the box set to medium
security is neither safe on a network or off.  You have probably scared off
many new users who might have read this list and thought seriously about
trying linux.

If you wish for linux to become a mainstream operating system you must
convince people that they do not have to spend hours a day pouring through
manuals.  Most people have other interests, say physics, programming,
families, hobbies to do and so on.

as to the handle 'prettyphysicslady' 'physicslady' was taken.  I had hoped,
as my female professors had encouraged us to do, that we let young women
know that girls do do physics, science and computers.  Adding 'pretty' was a
way to help dispell the stereotype that only fat, ugly women went into
science.  I am not sure why professors at the college/university you went to
did not encourage this?  It is done commonly here in the US.

As for not believing that a female can be pretty/do physics/do computers/  I
am very sorry for you.  I do not know which part of the world you grew up
in, I can only be very thankful I did not grow up there.  You have made
clear this is a stereotype that clearly needs to be dispelled.

As for the troll reference I do not understand it? If I do not agree with
you I am a troll?  Personal attacks weaken your aguments and show others
that your point can not stand on its own merits.