[techtalk] Re: techtalk digest, Vol 1 #450 - 14 msgs

jenn at simegen.com jenn at simegen.com
Sun May 13 11:16:00 EST 2001

Linda MacPhee-Cobb wrote:

>>  > Which manual?  There is no "Linux manual" per se.  It depends on how
>>  > well the individual distro documents things and writes their manual.
>
> Rute, the manual that came with caldera, insiders guide to linux, the
> linux superbible, and two o'reilly guides to linux amoung others.

Ok. That's surprising. What sections did you look under?

> Yes, Jenn, several people offered useful solutions.  The only commentary
> from you was that you already knew it all.  If that was the case why
> were none of the solutions from you?

A) I already knew that single user mode existed.
B) I didn't know how to disable single user mode. (No, I don't know
it ALL. Never intended to claim to.)
C) By the time I realised that that was your problem, other people
had already stated how to disable single user mode. I saw no point
in researching and providing information that other people had
already provided.

Satisfactory reasons?

Oh, and:

D) I posted to the linux documentation project's feedback page,
stating that there was a referencing/indexing problem with single
user mode - that a newbie (you) had had problems finding the
information about it even after having been told it existed.
Just to try to prevent it from happening in the future.
And
E) Marked it as a FAQ for the techtalk FAQ. Also to try to
prevent it from happening in the future.

BTW: you'd be less likely to sound like a possible troll if you
managed to be less aggressive and accusatory. It's the accusatory
tone of your posts which (probably) led Jeff to think you might
be trolling us.
It also makes me feel awful-bad about helping you or responding to you,
and disinclined to do so again. And just in case you decide to say 'but
you haven't helped me', check out D & E above. Maybe it's not
/personal/, individual help, but it's an attempt to prevent a recurrance.

Jenn V.

jenn at simegen.com     Jenn Vesperman     http://www.simegen.com/~jenn/