[techtalk] Re: techtalk digest, Vol 1 #450 - 14 msgs

Linda MacPhee-Cobb prettyphysicslady at hotmail.com
Sat May 12 20:47:42 EST 2001

> > Which manual?  There is no "Linux manual" per se.  It depends on how
> > well the individual distro documents things and writes their manual.

Rute, the manual that came with caldera, insiders guide to linux, the linux
superbible, and two o'reilly guides to linux amoung others.

>of the reasons why Linux mailing lists and user groups are so popular.
>There's a big difference between reading the books and actually
>maintaining a system.  Ideally, you get some of both.

I thought that was what I was doing reading manuals and subscribing to this
list when I wasn't working on other projects.

   Okay, small pet rant here.  Linux can be made to be incredibly
>secure.  Many distributions ship that way (TurboLinux, Debian).  Others
>ship more with ease of use in mind (Red Hat) than security by default.

When I installed this version of mandrake it gave several options from  open
to crackers to paraniod.  One would assume high security actually meant high
security

>it takes a knowledgable sysadmin to turn on necessary services and get
>it to work.)

Who has the time.  I want to spend time developing not fixing the operating
system.

> > Yes, having admitted to said eviilll knowledge Jenn, I'm afraid you must
>now
> > brain-dump all your knowledge of:

Yes, Jenn, several people offered useful solutions.  The only commentary
from you was that you already knew it all.  If that was the case why were
none of the solutions from you?

  Message: 3