[techtalk] security problem

James Sutherland jas88 at cam.ac.uk
Sat May 12 08:50:58 EST 2001

On Fri, 11 May 2001, Linda MacPhee-Cobb wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just found a huge security flaw that lets anyone take root control of your
> computer during boot.

Hrmm... You aren't referring to things like:

boot with init=/bin/sh
boot to single user mode
etc?

> I sent mandrake a bug report, but who should I send this information to?  I
> found it posted on a linux users list for beginners, so it is online for
> crackers to find.  I found it while searching for something else entirely.

If it's already online, could you send more details please?

James.
--
A person who is more than casually interested in computers should be well
schooled in machine language, since it is a fundamental part of a computer.