[techtalk] Re: techtalk digest, Vol 1 #445 - 11 msgs

jenn at simegen.com jenn at simegen.com
Sat May 12 13:16:11 EST 2001

Linda MacPhee-Cobb wrote:

> But again, if it is a 'recovery thing' where is the documentation?  Why
> wasn't it clearly in the manual?

I don't know. I didn't write the Mandrake manual.

Excuse me, I'll just stuff it into the techtalk FAQ - the only Linux
manual I *DO* have control over...

... done. Admittedly the techtalk FAQ isn't anywhere near a distributable
version, but I now have a note to include single user mode in it. Under
'what do I do if I forget my root password' .. or some similar question.

> Why bother having passwords if anybody can get around them?  Don't you
> think that by putting encrypted passwords on a computer one would be led
> to believe that a password was needed to gain entry?  Especially since
> linux makes such a big deal about how secure it is.

For *NETWORK* security. The passwords aren't for local security,
they're for network security. Linux evolved from Unix, which was
devised for situations like my first job out of uni ..

We had the server in the server room, which was itself lockable
but also in a locked area where I worked. We had thirty+ terminals
in the outer room, plus several upstairs. My boss had the root
password.
The console (the only terminal where single user mode could be done
from) was in the server room, where users would have had to pass me
plus two locked doors.

The passwords kept the ordinary users from being able to do stuff
which might stuff up the machines. The ability to boot into single
user mode saved my ass when my boss left, took a holiday and forgot
to pass on the root password first.

> Yes you can pull out the hard drive and stick it in another machine.
> You can take a crow bar to my back door and get in my house as well.
>
> But if all your neighbors had a pass key to your house when you bought
> it and you were not told about it wouldn't you feel a bit violated?

Um. I guess it never *occured* to anyone that you might be using
the passwords to protect your machine from people you willingly let
into your house.

> That is how this is... a hidden way in, and it leads one to wonder what
> else is hidden and why.

It's not a hidden way in, or at least not intentionally hidden.
More like 'oh, yeah, there is a door here .. under all this ivy.
Didn't you notice it?'

There's probably other things which I know of, understand and
approve of; but which would upset you. The problem is, I can't
think of what they might be. I'm not *intentionally* not telling
you .. I just don't know what your assumptions are!

Jenn V.

jenn at simegen.com     Jenn Vesperman     http://www.simegen.com/~jenn/