[techtalk] Re: techtalk digest, Vol 1 #447 - 11 msgs

jenn at simegen.com jenn at simegen.com
Sat May 12 13:00:34 EST 2001

Daniel Manrique wrote:

>> If there is one undocumented back door there are many.
>> Who are these back doors built in for?  Clearly not the users or there would
>> be documentation.
>

> They are perfectly documented.

I wouldn't say 'perfectly' documented - there's nothing there to
tell a novice that 'single user mode' means 'no password'. And
the letter that Linda forwarded implies that other newcomers have
repeatedly come up against the same misunderstanding.

So I'd say 'far from perfectly documented' but I'd also say that
it's an innocent documentation error that needs to be corrected.

Jenn V.

jenn at simegen.com     Jenn Vesperman     http://www.simegen.com/~jenn/