[techtalk] Major security bug

jenn at simegen.com jenn at simegen.com
Sat May 12 09:07:44 EST 2001

 > I just found a huge security flaw that lets anyone take root control
 > of your computer during boot.

 > I sent mandrake a bug report, but who should I send this information
 > to?  I found it posted on a linux users list for beginners, so it is
 > online for crackers to find.  I found it while searching for something
 > else entirely.

Is it Mandrake-specific? Or does it affect other distros? Do you
even know?
Telling the distro is a good thing. But there's also CERT...

http://www.cert.org/

CERT (and related others, like AusCERT) is a centralised place that
manages security breaches, patches, advisories and warnings.

Look under 'Incidents, quick fixes and vulnerabilities', there's
'report an incident' and 'reporting guidelines'. Check the guidelines
first, of course. :) But if you tell CERT, it'll be in every smart
sysadmin's hands quickly.

Jenn V.

jenn at simegen.com     Jenn Vesperman     http://www.simegen.com/~jenn/