[techtalk] newbie network problems

Eunice Roberts gypsy at freenet.nether.net
Tue May 8 20:26:56 EST 2001

All,

I just installed Caldera OpenLinux 2.4.  I'm trying to run a little
network but having lots of problems.

My Setup:
I have and ibm thinkpad, an old mac powerbook, and my lovely new linux
box.  I have a (dynamic) dsl connection (Cisco 675 external router).  Plus
10baseT ethernet hub.

The problem is that my linux box doesn't seem to be connecting. Or maybe
it is but I just can't tell.  I don't know what I'm doing wrong.  The
motherboard came with sis900 integrated Fast ethernet controller.  I see
the sis900 module load up every time I restart the computer. Linux box is
configured for DHCP.

I get an error when I open my browser. Netscape said it was unable to
connect to network. It suggests that I may need to configure $SOCKS.

Huh?????

I configured my ethernet card via this COAS administration interface tool.

I've tried modifying /etc/resolv.conf; /etc/hosts according to various
instructions I've gotten from all over the web.
It's all just running me in circles.  I'm getting more confused every day.

My questions are:
Do I need another NIC to make this setup work? If so, why?
How can I better test to see if Linux sees my ethernet connection?
Do I need to do some sort of ip masquerading to make this work?
Do I need to configure NAT to make this work?
How do I configure $SOCKS?
What else am I missing?

I seem to be missing something fundamental which is stopping me from
getting this up and going.  I have no problem with the other 2 PCs I just
configure for DHCP, maybe provide a few DNS numbers, connect to the hub
(or just to the router) and I'm off

Please help,