[techtalk] Gumpish Routing Question

Neale Green techno at neale.org
Wed May 9 13:20:47 EST 2001

Hi Folks,

As of last night, I have a major routing problem with my Net connection which
the ISP CLAIMS isn't at their end. I use the ISP for connection, and DNS, but
not for any Proxy (or other) services.

I know that I SHOULD be able to chase it down and fix it myslef, but I'm having
a Forrest Gump Moment (Stupid is, as stupid does), and can't remember what to
check.

My link to the service provider dropped last night, and when I re-initiated it,
my Gateway machine could see the DNS server & Internet, AND could see the other
machines in my network, but the other machines could only get to the Gateway
server via IP, NO name connections, NO pings on any address outside the Gateway.

Nothing was changed on any of my boxes, and the boxes inside still point to the
gateway machine as a default router, and the ISP's DNS servers, but the ISP
claims that everything is right at their end, and so it's a problem within my
network and/or gateway.

The problem here is that, for some reason, I can't remember what files have the
relevant Network information. ( Once I can verify the info in the Gateway, I
can get back to the ISP with the necesary ammo. )

The Gateway is a Redhat 5.2 box.

Can anyone help this poor fool, who can't remember a thing at the moment,
please? ( Picture a pathetic, pleading, face, 'kay? )

Sorry for such a stupid question, any advice and/or assistance would be greatly
appreciated.

Regards,

Neale