[techtalk] botched newbie kernel compile

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Tue May 8 22:48:13 EST 2001

On Tue, May 08, 2001 at 11:30:57AM -0700 or thereabouts, Brian Sweeney wrote:
> Julia-
> So, to sum it all up:
> As a side note, did you want to run make modules and make modules_install?
> Check out the modules.txt file in the Documentation directory of your linux
> src dir for more info.

This caught me out totally when I tried to compile a kernel for the
first time. I read the HOWTO carefully, but the notes about make modules
and make modules_install were waaaaay at the back in the section with
the notes which also mentioned the new features of the 1.3 development
branch. (And this is a year or two ago. We are not talking "when 1.3 was
actually the latest cutting edge.")

It was only the passing kernel hacker asking "wait, what are you doing?"
that saved me. The Kernel-HOWTO looks slightly less confusing to me
now, but I am not sure whether that's because it's been changed, or
because I nearly got caught out and subconsciously know to keep reading
to that point.

> Hope that wasn't TOO confusing! =)

I think it was a brilliant list. I hope it helped Julia; it certainly
helped me.

Telsa