[techtalk] Biscuit jack?

Paul Hardacre paul.hardacre at btinternet.com
Sun May 6 21:18:42 EST 2001

Mary wrote:
> Here's a hardware question I hope isn't too strange.  I'm doing a
contracted
> install tomorrow.  The call to do the job went something like this:

<SNIP>

> As I RTFM, I keep seeing this term pop up ... "Under the cash wrap you
will
> find *biscuit jacks* with all their patch cables attached ... you will
find
> a patch cable connected to the BB-01 port on the *biscuit jack* on the
green
> board..."  What the hell is a biscuit jack?  I'm guessing once I get there
> and see the equipment, I'll figure it out.  But if someone can describe it
> or better yet point me to a picture of one, this nerve-grating term will
not
> grate so much.

I did a quick web search and it looks like a wall-mounted box with an RJ-45
socket on it :) For a piccy have a look at:

http://www.icc.com/vcs-Biscuit%20Jacks%20-%20Surface%20Mount%20Single.htm

That's all one long string with no spaces in case it don't come out like
that :)

> Personally, I think they just made it up.

Would appear not.. :) But you reminded me to eat some biscuits :)

Hope that helps,

Paul