[techtalk] Re: techtalk digest, Vol 1 #437 - 9 msgs

A Kozic ak38 at drexel.edu
Fri May 4 14:36:10 EST 2001

On Fri, 4 May 2001 jenn at simegen.com wrote:
> Um.. correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the distros actually
> free-for-download? And does your college provide bandwidth? :)

Theoreticly I could download the distro on my non-unlimited-usage dialup
connection for the weekend. Ugh.

Or I could buy/borrow an ethernet card, haul my computer & burner to
campus on the subway, find somewhere that I'd be allowed to connect to the
LAN, hopefully where I could also borrow a monitor (so I don't have to
make a second trip on the subway to bring my own). Then download & burn my
CDs, and haul the whole shebang home.

I have found a better solution: Get a nice person to download and
burn you a cd, in exchange for (a) a few dollars or (b) the warm fuzzy
feeling they get when they help someone with linux.

I bought Madrake because I figured it would come with a good manual and
tech support. I hadn't seen any linux books containing mandrake and I
wanted to give it a try. It wasn't a wise purchase, but I was having one
of those days and needed a new toy. A retail box distro is instant
gratification with a shiny new manual.

-- Avery