[techtalk] Write down while you are modifying the system...

James Sutherland jas88 at cam.ac.uk
Thu May 3 07:55:21 EST 2001

On Thu, 3 May 2001, Mary Gardiner wrote:
> On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 10:16:43PM +0800, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 10:03:02PM +1000, Mary Gardiner wrote:
> > [...snip...]
> > > btw can anyone give me a run down on this situation:
> > >
> > > X outside project (say an open source project) has a cvs tree. I want
> > > to be able to import their CVS tree, whilst at the same time
> > > maintaining my own tree, probably minor, of changes, and resyncing
> > > every so often.
> >
> > I read the other replies in this thread and they may give the facility
> > that Mary is after. However, CVS also includes a "natural" way of doing
> > this sort of thing: vendor branches.
>
> Thanks a lot Malcolm, I was aware of the existence of vendor branches
> but nothing more. I'll probably be doing this kind of stuff over the
> next few months, so I'll be sure to keep your email around.

You might also want to look at Corel and the Wine project: Corel
maintained their own internal CVS tree, periodically resyncing against the
public one. I've a nasty feeling they did the work by hand, though ...

Anyone know if FreeBSD have any neat solutions to this? They use CVS for
their whole source tree, don't they - so they must import other people's
CVS content all the time?

--
Old programmers never die.  They just branch to a new address.
	-- BSD fortune file