[techtalk] Latest deb of Exim?

ktb ktb at nixnotes.org
Tue May 1 18:10:08 EST 2001

On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 07:00:32PM -0400, Kath wrote:
> I'm running a rather old version of exim (hence vulnerable) and was wondering where I could find an updated .deb of it.
>
> The latest release is 3.22 and I only have 3.12-10.
>
> I tried apt-get upgrade and specifically apt-get install exim but neither worked.
>
> Anyone have an independent deb or can it be found in unstable or testing?  (I try to stay away from those two as every time I install a package from them, something catastrophic happens).

Are you positive your version is vulnerable to whatever whatever you
think it is?  If you have a security line in your /etc/apt/sources.list
and run -
# apt-get update
# apt-get upgrade

or maybe better -
# apt-get update
# apt-get -u dist-upgrade

It should apply security patches.

If you are sure you need to upgrade put this line in your sources.list
deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free

Run -
# apt-get update
# apt-get -b source exim

That will build a deb from testing source which is 3.22-4 right now
according to -
http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

It may or may not work.  It may or may not be more secure.  Remember to
comment out the testing line when your though.
hth,
kent

--
 From seeing and seeing the seeing has become so exhausted