[techtalk] linux vpn/routing

Neale Green neale at neale.org
Wed May 2 12:16:33 EST 2001

Jen,

There is one problem that I can see with what you're proposing, which may, or
may not, be relevant, depending on what you're actually planning to implement.

IF you're planning a "proper" VPN, you should have a Firewall setup which
prevents ANY traffic which does not pass through the VPN, to ensure that
everything that goes through is authenticated at the VPN, and transmitted in
encrypted form (otherwise, why bother with a VPN?).

If you block non-VPN traffic in this way, pings would not be able to get
through the link, unless you use static routing between the two ends of the VPN
link AND the user has been authenticated at the VPN.

With the above scenario I am, of course, presuming that you're using
authentication at the VPN, if you're using a static VPN link, the proviso on
user authentication is invalid (though the use of static addresses is risky if
the environment is visible outside your network). I am also presuming that
you're not planning on just passing specific traffic on a given port through
the VPN, an allowing other traffic to utilise other routes. as noted above,
though, this would, in effect, invalidate the use of the VPN, unless this is
only an exercise in the creation of a VPN.

Sorry to rabbit on, as you may have guessed, I work in computer security ;^)

Hope this is of use.

Regards,

Neale