[techtalk] This talk of N-ary trees and other things...

Makiko Itoh maki at prodok.ch
Sat Mar 24 11:47:24 EST 2001

Michelle, jenn, Nancy,

>One time someone told me to study Logic...but not just any logic, some
>specific type of logic.  I can no longer remember what it's called.  Maybe
>you know. I can see how it would help me to cover all my bases when
>writing programs.  It involves mapping out truth tables for problems like:

I don't have a CS degree, but I did take a whole bunch of CS courses
in college. Years later it's amazing how much of that is still
helpful, especially when learning new languages. It also helps to get
the most out of any given language. (fwiw I took Pascal, C,C++ and
Assembler formally, plus dBase in an intensive seminar thingie. which
really dates me. :))

The logic course that we had back then was called Discrete
Structures. Basically we learned  a lot of things about topics like
booleans and probabilities and the like. Part of it was just like
solving puzzles (and I've always liked those logic puzzles in the
puzzle books). I'm not even sure what books would cover these types
of topics, but it really helps when you are figuring out things.

Taking a formal programming course in any language, especially an
object oriented one, can help immensely for all kinds of other
programming tasks. It's like establishing a basic understanding of
grammar, and programming language grammar doesn't differ nearly as
much as human grammar does.

Speaking of which, I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on how
learning human languages, or the ability to, translates to the
ability to learn programming languages, or vice versa? Both my
husband and I are multilingual and we often talk about how learning
languages kind of helps us to get a "programmer head", if that makes
sense.

Anyway, this is my first post here. I've enjoyed lurking so far. :)

cheers,
--
Makiko Itoh (Maki)
PRODOK Engineering, Switzerland: http://www.prodok.com