[techtalk] CD-ROM crapped out.

Akkana akkana at shallowsky.com
Thu Mar 22 13:02:35 EST 2001

ktb writes:
> If you have another cdrom stick it in said computer and see if it works.
> Sounds like the cdrom might be hosed.

I saw a problem like this recently.  A few CDs would work, but most of
them acted like nothing was loaded.  Cleaning the CDs helped a bit,
but over the next day or two it got worse and even very clean and
new CDs would spin for a while but stay unrecognized.

I happened to have a spare CDROM drive (recently replaced by a CD
writer) so we installed that in the machine, and the problem vanished.
So it was a problem with the drive.

It might be possible to fix the drive (clean the window over the
laser, possibly?) but it's awfully cheap just to buy a new drive ...

--
	...Akkana       http://www.shallowsky.com