[techtalk] Web diary.

Laurel Fan lf25+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Mar 21 18:08:03 EST 2001

Excerpts from linuxchix: 22-Mar-101 Re: [techtalk] Web diary. by Mary
Gardiner at puzzling.o
> I'm not seeing terribly much wrong with these ideas yet :) except the
> reuploading thing. You're too used to a cable modem now Jenn (Mary's
> diary entries are now well over 200K and that used to take some minutes
> on a modem, and I'm impatient, and it was costing us a little for every
> upload and ...). I'd have to regenerate remotely.

That's where cvs and ssh come in to play:

After you've finished editing on your local machine, do a cvs commit.

Then do something like:

ssh you at remotemachine "cd www/src; cvs update -dP"
ssh you at remotemachine "cd www/src; make"

So your total bandwidth consumption is the cvs commit/update
(depending on whether the cvs is remote or local), and however much it
takes ssh to send those commands over.