[techtalk] DESIGN: N-ary trees

jenn at simegen.com jenn at simegen.com
Wed Mar 21 18:19:18 EST 2001

Laurel Fan wrote:

> Excerpts from linuxchix: 21-Mar-101 [techtalk] DESIGN: N-ary
> treesjenn at simegen.com (687*) by
>
>> Has anyone come up with a useful design of an N-ary tree (I'm
>> thinking of a 4-ary tree) where you can lift a whole branch of
>> the tree and move it elsewhere?
>

> What do you mean by move it elsewhere?  Are you specifically thinking
> of something quadtrees can't do? :)

I suspect so.

Dancer wants to lift a whole branch of an N-ary tree and move it
elsewhere in the tree. (basically, to move the data from one
section to another, without deconstructing the current branch
and making a new one - just move the pointer that points to
the branch.)

*I* couldn't figure out a way to do that within an N-ary tree (other
than also changing the 'where in the tree am I' stuff). I
was wondering if anyone else could.

Jenn V.

jenn at simegen.com     Jenn Vesperman     http://www.simegen.com/~jenn/