[techtalk] console apps, xterm and fonts

Anmol Khirbat anmol at teknema.com
Fri Mar 9 23:40:28 EST 2001

Hi

I end up getting funny characters when I run slrn or mutt in an xterm. I
tried fooling with $TERM but it didnt help. Also, mutt/slrn look and feel
different when I run them in screen.

I believe this is because I use the "vga" font. Its been a while since I
set up xterm to use this font and I kinda like it, partly because it makes
my xterms look exactly like my framebuffer virtual console.

Changing the xterm font does fix the goofy characters, but I haven't been
able to find a font that looks good on my laptop. Courier is my favorite
font and I've been using some courier variant on my machine at work since
ages. The problem is that courier in bold looks terrible on my laptop.

I've spent hours fiddling with my fonts and the truth is that I've never
been satisfied with my fonts ever.

Netscape fonts are a whole different story, but I think they are ok for
now.

If you are as finicky about fonts as I am, I'd like to hear from you :)

bye :)
Anmol

PS: I'm running Debian woody