[techtalk] Cannot create tcp_syncookies

Jeff Dike jdike at karaya.com
Sat Mar 10 00:37:25 EST 2001

subb3 at attglobal.net said:
> echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_syncookies
> for which I am getting the following error message.
>  /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_syncookies: No such file or directory

What Angela said.

To explain that error above, /proc is special.  It is not a normal filesystem
in which you can create files.  It's a filesystem-like window into the kernel.
 The kernel creates files there and makes it appear as though they contain
information, even though they really don't.

This explains some oddities about the stuff in /proc, like all the zero-length
files which when you cat them give you stuff.

				Jeff