[techtalk] Re; help with hardware woes?

Wood, Mary conmwo at SoftwareAG-USA.com
Thu Mar 8 15:18:56 EST 2001

Thanks for responding Eric!

I have decided that *some* device is damaged and frying the
mb.  At first I thought it might be one of the 3 drives (hd,
cd-rom, super floppy), but I've connected all 3 individually
to a good, yet expendable machine.  Other than Win2k won't
run on 32m of RAM, all 3 failed to kill the mb.  That's when
I started looking to the memory chip or possibly the cpu.

According to basic physics, a body in motion will remain in
motion until acted upon.  Likewise, a working PC tends to
remain working until something happens to it.  I've ruled
out old age or wear and tear as this is a brand new machine.
The one and only thing the user did which puts up a red
flag in my little brain was to shut off the machine by
cutting power to the surge strip it was plugged into.

Again, thanks for the empathy and the info ... at least I
know I'm not the only one who's run into something like
this!

- Mary