[techtalk] More on hardware woes

Wood, Mary conmwo at SoftwareAG-USA.com
Thu Mar 8 13:22:05 EST 2001

Here's a specific query:

Can a damaged memory chip fry a motherboard?

I'm reading in my nice big PC maintenance bible that a
sudden surge or drop in power can damage a memory chip.
The user did indeed wind up shutting down the PC by
cutting off the surge strip.  If that damaged the memory
chip and the damaged chip is capable of killing the MB,
I may be seeing some light at the end of the tunnel.

About the only other thing I haven't been able to test
yet is the CPU.  I have no expendable CPUs in the office
that will fit into the mb and the CPU in question
won't fit any of my junk machines.

Again, any brainstorms, insights, bad jokes, would be
welcome!

- Mary; wounded but fighting for life