[techtalk] RE: Error installing Red Hat Linux 7.0

Brian Sweeney bsweeney at imagedog.com
Wed Mar 7 09:35:45 EST 2001

Shannon-

I remembered seeing this once before, but that was a problem with a SCSI
adapter?.  In any case, your root filesystem here isn't on your hard drive
anyway, it's on the floppy you're booting from.  Chances are then the
problem is with the floppy (I've already found 3 bad floppies out of a box
of 50 I recently bought :() Try creating new ones off of the cd.

A search on google confirmed my suspicions, and points to the other
possibility of a busted floppy drive (they die often enough as well):

Question:
Problem with Boot Disks

I'm a beginner. After creating the boot disk using rawrite with boot.img as
its source, I tried to boot using the diskette. After I pressed <ENTER>, my
PC froze. Here is the last line of the message:
RAMDISK : Compressed image found at block 0
CRC errorVFS : Cannot open root device 08:22
kernel panic : VFS:Unable to mount rootfs on 08:22

Answer:
Use a pair of brand-new floppy disks, and this problem should go away. The
compressed file system placed on the root disk consumes almost all the disk,
and any errors on the disk will cause this problem. Usually, replacing the
disk with a fresh floppy will solve the problem. The worst-case scenario is
a bad floppy drive, but that is unusual.

Good luck; let me know how it goes...

-Brian