[techtalk] Error installing Red Hat Linux 7.0

jenn at simegen.com jenn at simegen.com
Wed Mar 7 20:08:42 EST 2001

Shannon Botz wrote:

> I am having problems installing Red Hat Linux on a computer.  I am using a
> P3 550mhz with 64meg of RAM.  After booting with the floppy and entering any
> install type (text, expert) I get the following error before the GUI
> install.   crc errorVFS: Cannot open root device 08:41
> Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 08:41.
>    No matter what HD or Bios set-up I attempt to use, I get this error.
> Every once in a while I get into the install GUI but it locks up after the
> partition prompt.

Wierd.

Ok. This has been sitting unanswered for a half-day or so, so I
figure *any* answer is probably better than none.

I've not seen this sort of error, but my suspicions would be that
either the boot floppy is fscked (try another boot floppy, or a boot
CD). Or that there's something fscked in the hardware.

Get hold of a known-good boot/install device - assuming you haven't
done that already - and if that doesn't fix things, check the hardware
out.

My _suspicion_ would be hard drive, since it's trying to mount
a root filesystem.

Hrm. Or CD-ROM drive, or floppy drive - whichever you're using
as the install-from media.

Well, if it was me this was happening to, those would be my avenues
of investigation. Sorry I can't be more precise.

Jenn V.

jenn at simegen.com     Jenn Vesperman     http://www.simegen.com/~jenn/