[techtalk] Software/GUI specs

jenn at simegen.com jenn at simegen.com
Thu Jun 28 09:54:23 EST 2001

Michelle Murrain wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Are there systems out there, besides UML, that people use to specify
> functionality of software, and/or the way a GUI will work? I'm looking
> for a method that will make it easy for everyone involved (including a
> client) to understand what a peice of software will do, as well as help
> me (the developer) make sure I get what is really intended by the
> client.  UML is good at determining a lot of detail, but I think you
> have to know a bit of UML in order to understand it - I'd like something
> that everyone can understand, if possible.

Everyone can understand sketches on paper, and feels competant to
make changes to them. Even the customer.

It's only really useful for a GUI, but it's helpful there.

For things like drop-down lists, if the customer touches the list with
a finger, the developer gets the 'list' piece of paper, and puts it over
the 'main window' paper that the customer 'clicked on'.

Is that making any sense?

Jenn V.

jenn at simegen.com     Jenn Vesperman     http://www.simegen.com/~jenn/