[issues] Re: [techtalk] Desktop OS?

Lothan lothan at newsguy.com
Tue Jun 5 01:31:59 EST 2001

My initial response is that you have too many partitions, which just
over-complicates matters. No, I am not saying it is wrong. It's just that
things get really complicated with extended partitions. Of course, I should
also fully disclose the fact that I dislike extended partitions and all of
the inherit problems they cause. Invisible partitions is one of the side
effects of extended partitions.

When I was running dual boot between Windows 95 and Redhat 6.1, I used a
total of four primary partitions: Windows, /boot, /, and swap. Granted, I
had to use Partition Magic to create those partitions. Windows fdisk won't
create linux partitions (surprised?) and the Redhat partition manager
refused to create anything other than extended partitions for Linux. Grrr...
Another full disclosure statement: I attempted to create the partitions *I*
wanted with Redhat, got disgusted on the second attempt and yanked out the
Partition Magic CD which just happened to be within arm's reach. I then
installed Windows 95, rebooted and installed Redhat. When asked if I wanted
to partition my drive, I yelled "You do it and DIE!" and it magically used
the partions I had created with Partition Magic. :-)

Anyway, I was able to access my Windows FAT32 partition from within Linux
and could access the Linux partitions from within Windows. Bzzzzt... I think
I just fried my brain. I can't for the life of me remember the name of the
utility I used to access the Linux partitions from within Windows. All I
remember now is that it provided stuff like ls and cp to ext2 partitions
(albeit read-only access) from a DOS prompt.

One point of worthy note here is that I found it trivially easy to partition
the drive using Partition Magic. I first jotted down the default sizes
recommended by Redhat's partition manager for /boot and swap then just typed
those numbers into Partition Magic and chose the type of partition (FAT32,
Linux or Linux Swap). I don't remember the exact size of each partition, but
it was something like this:

Device     Boot  Start  End   Blocks  System
/dev/hda1  *     1      x     x       /boot + lilo
/dev/hda2        x      x     x       FAT32
/dev/hda3        x      x     x       Linux
/dev/hda4        x      x     x       Linux Swap