[techtalk] Marking the Mutt folder contents

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Sat Jun 30 18:51:14 EST 2001

On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 10:13:43PM +0000 or thereabouts, Subba Rao wrote:

> I do tag several email and save them to a folder in one attempt. How do I
> 'delete' or mark the contents of the email folder as 'read' in one attempt?

t for tag a message.
T for tag a pattern.
	in this case the pattern would be all: ~A
Then you have tagged them all, and can act on all of them at once with
a ";" mark followed by the action you want to perform. The "set a status
flag" command is "w" (they must have run out of useful mnemonics by
then!) and then it prompts you with what to mark them as. ("W" is
clear-that-flag, btw.)

So T~A;wd would tag the lot, then perform "mark as deleted" on all tagged
messages.

I can't find how to mark as read off-hand. I'm sure it's somewhere.
I mostly find them when I do them by accident.

Much simpler, if you're going to mark as deleted, is D~A
d is delete
D is delete a pattern.
And ~A is the pattern: all.

So: D~A will delete all in a folder.

I use D~A quite a bit myself. I have a folder of CVS commits, and I am
only interested in half a dozen modules. I have those appear at the
top with sort-by-score, read those, and then D~A and away they go.

Reading this, it occurs to me to wonder why I claim vi(m) commands
are cryptic. Must dig out the "Learning Vim" book again.

Telsa