[techtalk] dead mouse

Julie jockgrrl at austin.rr.com
Fri Jun 22 23:40:57 EST 2001

David Merrill wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> My mouse suddenly died on me. Occasionally I can get it to move, but
> then it moves jerkily and coasts to the side of the screen. All 3
> buttons still work. I've tried two other meeces which both do the same
> thing, which afaics rules out the mouse itself.
>
> I haven't done anything at all with any conf files.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be wrong, or how I
> might go about debugging this?

Were I a betting woman (which I am ...) I'd guess that the
mouse plug or something hardware inside the box is busted.

Mice have two direction sensors -- one X and another Y and
those thingies, when they break, give you movement on one
axis only.  My recollection is that the X and Y signals are
on two different wires, so since the problem is mouse
idependent, my guess would be that the problem is on the
other side of the mouse/computer interface ...

-- Julie (US Patent #5,963,195)

--
 11:36pm  up 1 day,  2:10,  3 users,  load average: 1.51, 1.45, 1.37