[techtalk] ulimits (again)

Phil Savoie Phil.Savoie at learnix.ca
Sat Jun 16 01:09:14 EST 2001

Hi Again,

As I did not receive a reply to my first post, I will assume that this is a
gooder and will post it again hoping someone will take a stab at it.  I have
been racking what little grey-matter I have trying to sort this one out with
nil luck as I also have RH6.2 at home and cannot replicate as the ulimits
**are** working.

This is what I am able to do at home:

=========================
phil at dell1:~ > rlogin pszone
Last login: Tue Jun 12 22:33:34 from dell1
You have new mail.
Desktop
[phil at cr714182-a phil]$

[phil at cr714182-a phil]$ ulimit -H -c
file size (blocks)       unlimited
core file size (blocks)  unlimited
[phil at cr714182-a phil]$

[phil at cr714182-a phil]$ uname -rs
Linux 2.2.14-5.0

[phil at cr714182-a phil]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Linux release 6.2 (Zoot)
[phil at cr714182-a phil]$
============================
But at work:
============================
I'm running RedHat 6.2 in a development environment and I need to
allow developers to dump core files.  The problem is the default
ulimit settings are different for a user when logged in directly to
the console versus logged in remotely:

# console login
% ulimit -H -c
unlimited
% ulimit -S -c
1000000

# remote login
% ulimit -H -c
0
% ulimit -S -c
0
============================

The 1000000 soft limit is being set in /etc/profile, but it fails for
remote logins with the message

bash: ulimit: cannot modify limit: Operation not permitted

because the hard limit is set to 0 for a remote login, so users cannot
increase it.  Out of desparation, I tried setting explicit limits in
/etc/security/limits.conf, but that didn't have an effect on remote
logins.

Does anyone know how/why/where this is set, or how I can change this
behavior?

BTW, I am aware that ssh works correctly with ulimit but it is rlogin that I
am concerned with.

Thanks in advance for your time,

Phil