[techtalk] exim sending problems

Raven, corporate courtesan damask0 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 15 09:14:40 EST 2001

Heya --

     It could be easy, or not.

     After you make any config changes to exim, you have to killall
-HUP exim to have it reread exim.conf.  So if you forgot to do this
after setting up exim, that could be your problem.

> The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was
> rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was
> 'anyuser at anyhost.com'. Subject 'Some subject', Account:
> 'mail.kathweb.net', Server: 'mail.kathweb.net', Protocol: SMTP,
> Server Response: '550 relaying to <anyuser at anyhost.com> prohibited by
> administrator', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error
> Number: 0x800CCC79

     Another thing that springs to mind: did you turn on relaying for
your local network?  If you haven't and you need it, you should have
something like

host_accept_relay = localhost : [IP block of your local net/CIDr mask]

     Was the failed message to your local domain or to another network?
 Sent from an account on your local domain, or not?

Cheers,
Raven

=====
"Yaaay!  I'm all for that!  Anything that lessens paperwork!"
"Don't be so quick about that..."
"Okay!  Down with I-Time!  Boooo!"
 -- just another NCC meeting