[techtalk] passwords don't work

Brian Sweeney bsweeney at physics.ucsb.edu
Thu Jun 14 10:23:09 EST 2001

I would've said perhaps NIS issues, but that doesn't seem to be a factor
here since your on a cobalt.  You need physical access to the box, and you
need to login as root and check the logs; chances are messages or secure
will have the info you're looking for.  Could be a problem with PAM, but
cobalt also has it's own funny stuff going on.  Could also always be HD
issues.  Can you administer the machine as the admin user via the http
interface?

If all else fails, follow the instructions for resetting the admin password
from the hardware.  That'll also reset the root password, and maybe you can
go from there.  Remeber with Cobalts though, I think you have to login as
the admin user at a console then su as root.  I dont' think you can su to
root from any other user.  Not sure though.

Also, I've had good luck when I had to work on Cobalt machine's with their
tech support. Though I haven't had to deal with them since they were bought
out (by Sun, right?) so I don't know what it's like now.  Sun certainly
killed Netscape's server support when they did that iPlanet nonsense.

Sorry this message is so scatterbrained...having a crazy morning here...

Good luck,
Brian