[techtalk] Extreme Tech article

Martin.Caitlyn at epamail.epa.gov Martin.Caitlyn at epamail.epa.gov
Tue Jun 12 10:25:26 EST 2001

> An interesting read on Extreme Tech talking about Linux and Win 2K and
> which is best for your needs.

http://www.extremetech.com/article/0,2299,s%253D1027%2526a%253D2166,00.asp

 Well... I suppose it's interesting if you like a pro-Microsoft bias and an
article that ignores mainly of the problems with running Windows and
ignores.  For example, in the discussion of IIS vs.  Apache, no mention of
security issues is  made at all, an area where IIS has major problems.
Indeed, discussion of security are noticeably absent from the article.
When discussing journaling file systems (briefly), only xfs is mentioned.
IBM's JFS and Reiser FS are noticeably missing.  In addition, kernel bloat
is mentioned as a serious problem with xfs, yet the fact that the system
requirements of Linux 2.4.x *with* xfs are still tiny compared to Windows
2000 Server is definitely not mentioned.  I can go on and on, but
generally, this is only an interesting read if you like Microsoft FUD.

I am not saying that Linux is the right answer for everyone.  It's not.  I
am saying that this article won't help you make an informed choice.
Rather, it seems designed to generate a specific choice.

-Caity