[techtalk] Opinion needed on Mail Clients

Penguina penguina at cosyn.co.nz
Fri Jun 8 09:21:35 EST 2001

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Kelly McQuarrie wrote:

> Hi Claudine:
>
> I've been using pine since I switch to unix so I can't compare it to
> anything else.  Why do you like mutt better? Maybe I should switch?
>
> -Kelly

I use pine, and I can tell you a few things I really don't like
about it.  ^X (send) and ^C (cancel) are right next to each other.

If you let things build up in your inbox, pine takes ages to sort
it out on launch.  It has gotten confused and dropped mail from
the inbox on occasion.  If you want to suspend a message in order
to examine some late-breaking incoming mail message or check your
facts in another -- rotsa ruck.  And then there's the security
holes.

> On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, Claudine Chionh wrote:
>
> > you please.  Of course, 'power users' are more likely to use
> > something like fetchmail to collect POP/IMAP mail independent of
> > mail client.

Hah!  And I thought I used fetchmail because I was too lazy to figure
out how to get my mail client to do it.

I'm a bit concerned about running fetchmail over an outside network,
though -- it doesn't encrypt, does it?  Is there a way to set up
fetchmail (or other mail clients that have that functionality built
in) so that it *does* encrypt both the password and the data stream?

Curiouser and curiouser.