[techtalk] damn Windows

Scott scott at talon.net
Thu Jun 7 15:25:44 EST 2001

At 02:28 PM 6/7/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>I use realaudio quite a bit, and my Linux box runs it MUCH better. Not
>only do I never lose my connections, but I get 3X the bandwidth. This
>is vs. Win98, though, not Win2K.

It makes a HUGE difference and I have tried it on Win 2K and 98.

I also tried another experiment, running TCPDUMP on my nic card for 24 hours
with Real Audio, FTP, Web, Fetchmail, etc all running, plus I had a
constant ping
to another machine and at the end I had 0% packets dropped by the new 2.4
kernel.

I did try to add two modems to the Linux box last night, but I was using the
wimp tools (Mandrake Control Panel) and it would only allow me to choose one
modem and one port.  Is there a better way to go about this for my multi-link
experiment.

tia

-sap