[issues] Re: [techtalk] Desktop OS?

coldfire rolick571 at duq.edu
Wed Jun 6 11:30:06 EST 2001

<snipie>

> question they can't answer and give up: do your LUG members go round and
> help newbies through the installation if they have problems, then get them
> started with Gnome/KDE??

sure do .. it was always an asset to have my laptop with me at the
meetings to show new desktops or whatever .. like GNOME demonstrations and
how to configure menus etc.  but it was a really good community .. i'm not
a big RTFM advocate and there was little of that.

> IMO, the ability for the LUG to hand out CDs of $DISTRO with their phone
> number on saying "Try this, if you have any problems, just give me a ring"
> is one of Linux's greatest assets - Microsoft just can't do that! :-)

and this was prospected before i left the first LUG i was a member of.
distributing all sorts of software to prevent others from having to
download 600MB of whatever on a dial-up connection.

abe