[techtalk] Re: [issues] Desktop OS?

Martin.Caitlyn at epamail.epa.gov Martin.Caitlyn at epamail.epa.gov
Mon Jun 4 13:21:26 EST 2001

Hi, Daniel,

> Once we get past installing the OS, Linux is again at a disadvantage,
> lacking the means to allow end-users to easily install software. It's
> nothing like in Windows, where you just double-click an icon, then
> endlessly click on a "next" button until it turns into a "finished"
> button. Very few Linux applications have something like that. And while
> most modern distributions have graphical package-manager frontends, it's
> not as simple as double-clicking an RPM file on the CD-ROM. It usually
> involves dependency checking and stuff like that, making things
cumbersome
> and complicated for the newbie.

This is where Linux-Mandrake 8.0 shines.  Their "Software Manager"
automatically resolves dependencies and installs the missing bits.  It's
not 100% perfect, but in most cases it makes installing an application RPM
no harder than clicking on the icon in Konqueror, which, for non-geek
newbies, is a huge step forward.  Their "MandrakeUpdate" is a lot like
Norton's "Live Update" for their antivirus:  it handles all the upgrades
and patches for you and, provided it works properly, makes the process 100%
painless.  It has worked properly for me so far, but James reported that it
did not for him in a big way, so it's not quite there yet.  It's getting
close though.

> The reason I need a secondary OS (Windows) is because there's still no
> decent way to play Starcraft under Linux :)

Loki is doing a great job, though, at making more and more popular games
available for Linux.  I'm not much of a gamer, but I'll admit a minor
addiction to Civilization: Call to Power.  With the upgrade to v. 1.2
they've got pretty much all the bugs out and added some nice new features.
It's fun.

All the best,
Caity

Caitlyn M. Martin             martin.caitlyn at epa.gov
Systems Analyst              (919) 541-4441
Lockheed Martin
(a contractor for the US EPA)