[techtalk] Re: rpms r not-so-good and Linux-Mandrake

Curious curious at curious.org
Sun Jun 3 02:57:32 EST 2001

I'm not sure if this is going to make it to the list.. anyways..
One of the biggest reasons I stick with debian is it's social contract.. watching companies like Redhat charge for thier autoupdates, SUSE not making an installable iso image available, and what have you.. I like not having to worry about such things.. apt is probably the second biggest reason.. however mandrake is rapidly moving twards a clean apt-like structure... I work on lots of remote systems where bringing down systems to upgrade to version x.x is NOT a good idea.. Mandrake has always been good at using good stuff from other distributions (ie. they use they cross-windowmanager-menu system from debian, the alternatives system from debian, and rpms from redhat)... until I'm confident that Mandrake systems will upgrade fine without reboot and that they won't start locking away upgrades and such I plan to stick with debian.

Btw: big kudos to the Mandrake and Debian folks! you guys rock :)
There is a wonderful essay here:http://www.curious.org/whydebian.html :)

I'll be working on "why not debian" shortly :)