[techtalk] Progeny Debian

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Fri Jun 1 00:23:52 EST 2001

On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 02:26:35PM -0400 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Michelle Murrain thought:

> The one minor snag is that at the same time as I did this change, I
> decided it would be a great time to change from POP to IMAP, since
> both of the servers I get my mail on (my home server and work) can do
> IMAP. Problem is, Netscape/Mozilla is the only client that does IMAP
> on Linux that I can find (others?).

MUTT!!!!!

Sorry, I mean

mutt.

But really the first line expresses my appreciation much better. :-)

mutt is text based, works with imap or local spools, has mailing list
features (registered mailing lists get treated differently than ordinary
email), can thread conversations (very useful for grrltalk and issues!),
allows you to use your favourite editor for composing (even emacs if
you're so obsessed^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hinclined...), is customisable in millions
of different ways (I have it set up to check outgoing mails for the word
"attach" and if found, check to see if I *did* attach the file), Oh, and
Telsa has a very nice, well documented .muttrc available which is very
helpful when getting started.

Conor (Who has forgotten how to click a "send" button by now)

Domestic Sysadmin :-)
Faenor.cod.ie
 12:11am  up 12 days, 12:19,  0 users,  load average: 0.08, 0.02, 0.01
Hobbiton.cod.ie
 12:16am  up 11 days, 13:16,  1 user,  load average: 0.01, 0.02, 0.00