[techtalk] partitioning security (was lilo)

jenn at simegen.com jenn at simegen.com
Thu Jul 26 06:11:58 EST 2001

Andrew Wendt wrote:

> On July 25, 2001 03:23, coldfire wrote:
>
> What prevents the same thing from happening with a soft link?

I don't know the terms 'hard link' and 'soft link', but with a
symbolic link created with 'ln -s', the permissions of the
source of the link wind up being the permissions of the target.
I don't know if/how partitions affect things.

However, since it seems hard links can affect security, perhaps
someone would like to tell me: what are they? How/why do they
create such holes?

Jenn V.

jenn at simegen.com     Jenn Vesperman     http://www.simegen.com/~jenn/