[techtalk] File sharing over the internet

jenn at simegen.com jenn at simegen.com
Sat Jul 7 21:38:15 EST 2001

Conor Daly wrote:

> As a matter of interest, how does CVS cope when:
> 1. I checkout source and start editing.
> 2. You checkout the same source and start editing.
> 3. You finish editing and checkin your version.
> 4. I finish editing and checkin my version.
>
> And we've both modified the same bits of the same files.
> ?

It notifies the second person of the problem, informs them who
checked in before them, and gives the second person a set of
options. One of the options is a merge, where if the
merge conflicts it includes *BOTH* changes in the merged file,
with some sort of 'here's the problem area' stuff in the file.

It's only happened to me once, I'm vague on the exact details,
but it intelligently handles the situation - ie, it expects the
human to, and notifies them of precisely what needs handling. :)

Jenn V.

jenn at simegen.com     Jenn Vesperman     http://www.simegen.com/~jenn/