[techtalk]Re: [techtalk] Old horse new bug HELP!

Brian Sweeney bsweeney at physics.ucsb.edu
Tue Jul 31 13:07:47 EST 2001

> Heya --
>
> 	Offlist reply because I'm really taking a shot in the dark.  [grin]
>
> On Tue, Jul 31 2001 at 11:38:35am -0700, Brian Sweeney wrote:
>> Hey guys,
>
> 	[laughs]  Guys?
Guys? Boy, THAT tells you how stressed I was...what was I thinking? ;-)

In any case, figured out the problem.  Someone had deleted the "x:" on one
of the user's lines in the /etc/passwd file.  No one's owned up to it yet;
we'll see.

I'm guessing then that the userid's weren't totally sequential because
every some-odd lines, the :'s would match up again and it would be able to
parse that user.  But that's a guess.

Anyway, thanks for the shot-in-the-dark Raven.  Adios all...I'm going to
lunch.

-Brian