[techtalk] nmap and sudo

Subba Rao subba9 at home.com
Sat Jul 28 10:27:22 EST 2001

I am trying to use nmap as a regular user. So I have added the following entry
into the sudoers file:

subba9   myhost = PASSWD: /sbin/ifconfig, /usr/local/bin/nmap

Nmap complains that I need to be logged on as root user. So I modified sudoers
with the following entry to run nmap with root user privileges:

subba9   myhost = PASSWD: /sbin/ifconfig, (root) /usr/local/bin/nmap

Nmap still continues to give the following error messages:

(0)subba9 at myhost:~ => nmap -sS -O localhost

Starting nmap V. 2.53 by fyodor at insecure.org ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
You requested a scan type which requires r00t privileges, and you do not have the .

QUITTING!
(1)subba9 at myhost:~ =>

How can allow a regular user to run nmap via the sudo?

--

Subba Rao
subba9 at home.com
http://members.home.net/subba9/

GPG public key ID 27FC9217
Key fingerprint = 2B4C 498E 1860 5A2B 6570  5852 7527 882A 27FC 9217