[techtalk] I need an algorithm!

Michelle Murrain tech at murrain.net
Thu Jul 26 21:35:55 EST 2001

At 03:46 PM 7/26/2001 -0700, markthegeek at canada.com wrote:
>On Thu, 26 July 2001, Michelle Murrain wrote:
>
> > I know there are millions and millions of domains, and I'm probably stupid
> > to try this, but I know I'll be discarding data from at least 90% of them,
> > so I don't have to keep information about them, just plug them in, check
> > some things, and move to the next one.
>

>Would I be correct in assuming that this data collected never would need
>to be updated, and is basically a one time thing?

Well, sort of. I'm not doing a search of anything that changes a lot - but
I'd want to re-do the whole search, say, a few times a year, probably.

I'm trying to write a script to search publicly available mailman mailing
lists. It is very easy to find all of the lists that are available on any
one domain, so I was going to have the program go through domains, check
whether a mailman page existed, dump it, parse it, drop the results in a
database, and move on.

It's one of those "ooooh, what a great idea, let's do it" sort of things.
Everything except getting the domain names is going to be a breeze (I think.)

Michelle

Michelle Murrain, Ph.D.
tech at murrain.net
AIM:pearlbear0