[techtalk] ide-scsi emulation

Julie jockgrrl at austin.rr.com
Tue Jul 24 23:37:18 EST 2001

Raven Brooke wrote:

> Anyone have an idea how to reverse this process? I followed some fairly
> simple directions to set it up, without recompiling the kernel, and all
> was well 'til I upgraded to RH 7.1. Now I seem to have _both_ cd devices
> emulating scsi, as revealed by scanbus:
>
> [root at trinity /root]# cdrecord -scanbus
> Cdrecord 1.9 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jörg Schilling
> Linux sg driver version: 3.1.17
> Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
> scsibus0:
>         0,0,0     0) 'MITSUMI ' 'CD-ROM FX240S !B' 'j01 ' Removable CD-ROM
>         0,1,0     1) 'ATAPI   ' 'CD-R/RW 10X8X32 ' '8.HZ' Removable CD-ROM
>         0,2,0     2) *
>         0,3,0     3) *
>         0,4,0     4) *
>         0,5,0     5) *
>         0,6,0     6) *
>         0,7,0     7) *
>
> This doesn't present a problem for recording, but I am unable to mount my
> cdrom. Be nice if I could return the cdrom to normal. None of the sources
> I've managed to turn up searching have been helpful in this regard.

I believe you've got your /etc/modules.conf file snafu'd.  This is
what I have in mine for SCSI emulation.  Like you I have two CD-ROM
drives -- one a DVD and the other a CD-RW.

#server-> more /etc/modules.conf
alias   scd0 sr_mod                  # load sr_mod upon access of scd0
alias   scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi    # SCSI hostadaptor emulation
options ide-cd ignore=hdd            # if /dev/hdb is your CD-writer

/dev/hdd is my CD-RW.  Here's what I get when I do the same
command --

#server-> cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord 1.9 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jörg Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.17
Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
scsibus0:
	0,0,0	  0) 'IOMEGA  ' 'ZIPCD1024INT-A  ' ' 1.8' Removable CD-ROM
	0,1,0	  1) *
	0,2,0	  2) *
	0,3,0	  3) *
	0,4,0	  4) *
	0,5,0	  5) *
	0,6,0	  6) *
	0,7,0	  7) *

--
Julianne Frances Haugh             Life is either a daring adventure
jockgrrl at austin.rr.com                 or nothing at all.