[techtalk] Ghostscript

Stephanie Maks steph at maksystems.com
Tue Jul 10 12:50:29 EST 2001

Hello,

I've been using linux for a few years now, pretending to be a system
administrator in a small company.  Since I know how to install it, I'm the
'expert' around here.

I've come upon a situation that I hope is probably very simple, but I have
found no examples of how to do it.

Our printer is an HP with no postscript, just PCL5.  I've started
experimenting with Ghostscript and have been very pleased with the success
of being able to print from a Macintosh client onto the linux server, by
manualy copying the .ps file and running ghostscript to convert it.

I've read in a few places (Printing HOWTO, etc) that you can set up a custom
filter so that print jobs automaticaly go through ghostscript, but have not
found any information on how to actually do that step.

I've got printcap configured with lp as the main printer using normal
filters, and I'd like to set up an lp1 which would use a 'ghostscript'
filter, but going to the same /dev.

Can anyone let me know how to do this, or point me to where I would find
some documentation?

Thanks a lot!

-Stephanie

p.s. the system in question is currently running Red Hat 5.2 (i know, we're
going to upgrade soon).  It does not have X on it, (we've never needed it on
this box).