[techtalk] SMP hangs on 2.4.2?

Caitlyn M. Martin caitlynmaire at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 8 19:36:00 EST 2001

Hi, Julie,

> I've been having more than a few hangs with the 2.4.2-SMP
> kernel of late.  I don't want to just run off and download
> 2.4.5 because it's newer.  Is there anyone else running the
> SMP kernel that cured any hangs by upgrading to a newer
> kernel?

You probably do want to upgrade.  There is a security hole in iptables in
2.4.2.  Red Hat, for example,is now recommending everyone upgrade to their
2.4.3-12 rpm.  The vulnerability is *not* described as serious, and does *not*
affect a default configuration, but they still recommend an upgrade.

I am running 2.4.5 on this system (Vector Linux 2.0), but not the smp kernel
<sigh> so I can't say if it will fix anything for you.  I can say that I
haven't had any problems yet.

Good luck!
Caity