[techtalk] SELinux

Julie jockgrrl at austin.rr.com
Sat Jul 7 15:03:11 EST 2001

Michael Carson wrote:

> Julie wrote:
>
> >Marcia Barrett Nice wrote:
> >
> >>http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/
> >>
> >>Has anyone on this list looked into this?  I'm slowly but surely working
> >>my way through the documentation (you know, in my free time at work
> >>usually) and I wondered what people whose opinions I (tend to) trust
> >>about this sort of thing think of it.  Besides, it looked like a good
> >>conversation piece ; >
> >>
> >>(My plan at the moment is to work through the documentation and then see
> >>about giving it a partition and playing a little, but I may decide to
> >>play with TrustedBSD instead.)
> >>

> >I've not looked at it yet, but I'm wondering if it can be run
> >under VMware on top of my normal Linux thingy on account of I
> >get enough security at work ...
> >
>    You probably could, but I'm not sure why you'd want to, except just
> for the experience.  You'd loose whatever trust you have in your
> hardware, so it would not constitute a secure system...

It wouldn't constitute a secure system on account of I have a
small child living in the house and he knows how to boot from
CD-ROM =and= use most of the tools in my toolbox ;-)

But just to be annoying I'll remind everyone that "trust" is a
negative statement about dependence.  Certainly not something
that would ever be used in the sentence "You'd loose[sic]
whatever trust you have in your hardware, ..."
--
Julianne Frances Haugh             Life is either a daring adventure
jockgrrl at austin.rr.com                 or nothing at all.