Screen is your friend (was Re: [techtalk] Mutt functionality)

Malcolm Tredinnick malcolm at commsecure.com.au
Sat Jul 7 12:46:02 EST 2001

On Sat, Jul 07, 2001 at 01:46:40PM +1000, Mary Gardiner wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 09:42:07PM -0400, David Merrill wrote:
> > Very cool. The kde virtual terminal (konsole?) allows something very
> > similar, but the various terminals show as tabs on the bottom of the
> > window. Quite slick.
>
> I use PWM as my window manager, which is very minimalist but allows me
> to tab xterms together and cycle through them with
> Ctrl-Shift-[number].
>
> screen is very similar but is text based - it's the solution when you
> want to run ten text based programs remotely but don't want to ssh in
> ten times to get ten ttys :)

Laziness aside, one time when screen is invaluable is if you are logged
in to a box without a monitor via a null-modem cable and minicom (or
something similar) -- something I've been doing a lot lately. You can
only ever have one such connection, so if you want to do multiple
things, screen is your friend. :-)

Cheers,
Malcolm

--
To steal ideas from one person is plagarism; to steal from many is research.